Duck Dynasty is A&E’s hit show that features the Robertson clan, their families, and their multi-million dollar empire that is Duck Commander. Yet, the family has a dark side. Drugs, alcoholism, and suicidal tendencies have plagued the Robertson family, but they feel that the loving grace of God is what saved them.
They did a 30-minute segment with I Am Second, a faith-based multimedia company that documents people’s transformations through the power of faith. Here are five things that you should know about the Robertson clan.
1. Phil Robertson’s first business venture was managing a bar in Arkansas. He later got into a fight with one of the owners, put him in the hospital, and lived in the woods for four months evading law enforcement. He left his wife, Miss Kay, and three sons to their own devices for survival.
2. Realizing his life out of control, Phil sat down with a preacher and was “blown away” by the story of Jesus Christ, his teachings, and resurrection from the dead.
3. Jep Robertson, Phil’s son, also had his issues with drugs and alcohol. He smoked a joint dipped in formaldehyde. It’s called a “wet daddy.” His behavior led to a family intervention.
4. Reed Robertson, eldest son of Jase and Missy Robertson, grew severely cynical and pretentious due to the show’s success. This led him down a dark path towards suicidal thoughts. He confided to his youth minister that he wanted to end his life. His intentions were eventually discovered, which destroyed his parents. Jase told him killing yourself because the world is tough is selfishness at its most extreme. “I just thought about, I’m about to leave all these people that I could have a really huge impact with. That really just hit me hard and that’s what turned me around,” Reed says.
5. For his household, Phil Robertson gives his two suggestions to a good life: 1) Love God and 2) Love each other because “at the end of the day, you’ll be happy, happy, happy.”