New Black Panther Party: 'Anything Less Than Death for Zimmerman is Not Justice'
The New Black Panther Party (NBPP) is an extreme black separatist organization that has been denounced by other racial justice groups for its members’ hateful language.
The tragic Trayvon Martin shooting has provided this controversial group with several opportunities to promote its despicable brand of hate speech, including at protests over the Trayvon Martin shooting beginning in March 2012.
The self-described Chief of Staff for the NBPP Kojo Kayrallah told the Daily Caller on Friday that, “Anything less than death for George Zimmerman is not justice.” Kayrallah added “praise be to God” at the mention that Zimmerman, who is on trial for Martin’s shooting, might be murdered in prison.
The NBPP has made several incendiary statements about the Trayvon Martin shooting, which is significant given the Department of Justice’s involvement in the State of Florida’s case against Zimmerman. Eric Holder has taken an interest in the case on civil rights grounds, and funded security at pro-Trayvon Martin rallies in collaboration with the Sanford, Florida police.
Specifically, the Department of Justice’s Community Relations Service (CRS), which was set up after the 1964 Civil Rights Act, was dispatched to Florida to ostensibly act as a “peacemaker” between groups.
The problem with that narrative is that in the period of time the Department of Justice was doing what appears to be security consulting from March 2012 to April 2012, the New Black Panther Party was repeatedly making threatening statements that could be interpreted as incitement to violence or a riot. (It should not be lost on readers that Holder’s Department of Justice inexplicably dropped a slam-dunk case of voter intimidation in Philadelphia involving two members of the NBPP).
Recently, Lee Stranahan of Breitbart.com reported that an NBPP spokesman disavowed the group ever being contacted by the Department of Justice. This is odd given the Community Relations Service’s mission to act as a “peacemaker.” CRS was even praised by the Miami-Dade County Community Relations Board for acting as a conciliator. But what did the CRS do to reign in the NBPP?
The Daily Kos, among many other left-leaning sites, have questioned ‘right-wing’ articles for claiming that the DOJ was in any way aiding and abetting rallies; instead, the DOJ is generally believed to have been acting as “peacemaker.” The question is: then why didn’t it directly address the most dangerous elements of the protests — the New Black Panther Party’s calls for violence?
Instead of trying to divine what Holder is thinking and asserting what the DOJ’s activities have been in absence of the facts, it may be helpful to construct a timeline; firstly, by providing a third-party timeline of major developments in the case itself.
On February 26th, 2012, the fatal shooting incident leading to the death of Trayvon Martin occurred. For a fairly comprehensive list of events involving the shooting and the trial of George Zimmerman (up to June 24th, 2013), see CNN.
Several raw links and their headlines, organized by date, are provided below, in reverse chronological order. The reader can make of them what he or she will:
- July 11th, 2013 – New Black Panther: Never Contacted by Obama DOJ over Zimmerman Threats
- July 11th, 2013 – Role of DOJ in Conciliating and Mediating Trayvon Martin Protests [DailyKos]
- July 10th, 2013 – Docs: Justice Department facilitated anti-Zimmerman protests
- July 10th, 2013 – Eric Holder’s Department of Justice Funded Security at Anti-Zimmerman Protest [IJR]
- June 21, 2013 – Sharpton Already Playing Race Card On Zimmerman Jury For Being Too White…
- June 21, 2012 – Sanford police chief fired in wake of Trayvon Martin case
- April 11th, 2012 – New Black Panther advocates killing white babies (Video)
- April 11th, 2012 – Eric Holder Praises Left-Wing Activist Al Sharpton, Says Facts, Law Will Guide Trayvon Martin Investigation
- April 10th, 2012 – Gainesville man beaten after men shout “Trayvon”
- April 8th, 2012 – New Black Panthers: Race War For Trayvon April 9th ‘Day of Action’
- April 8th, 2012 – ‘Suited, Booted, and Armed’: Unbelievable Audio From the New Black Panthers on Bloody, Anti-Capitalist ‘Race War’ Against White Devils
- March 31st, 2012 – Probe reveals New Black Panther ties to Hezbollah
- March 31, 2012 – Martin supporters rally in Sanford, demand justice for teen’s killing
- March 26th, 2012 – The New Black Panthers hunt for Trayvon Martin’s killer
- **March 25, 2012 – POLICE vs BLACK PANTHERS,TRAYVON MARTIN… [NBPP members shout at police officers during rally - 7:53]
- March 24, 2012 [posted] – New Black Panthers offer reward for capture of George Zimmerman
- March 22nd, 2012 – Embattled Sanford police chief steps down; special prosecutor named
The final piece of this puzzle come via an article by Breitbart.com’s Kerry Pickett. It fills in the picture nicely:
Smith was brought in as chief of Sanford’s police department after Bill Lee was fired from the position. City Manager Norton Bonaparte offered Smith the job in February. The Orlando Sentinel reported Smith was hired to help “inspire the department’s 132 sworn officers to excellent service and to heal wounds created by a history of racially charged encounters between police and the black community.”
Lee told media outlets recently that outside forces took the Zimmerman investigation away from him.“It was (relayed) to me that they just wanted an arrest. They didn’t care if it got dismissed later,” Lee said. “You don’t do that.”
Smith told reporters at the Seminole County courthouse, “Training has been done with law enforcement through the Department of Justice within the police department to talk about issues on biased base policing and ethics.”
It is not certain what exactly the Justice Department’s CRS has been doing in Florida since the unfortunate Trayvon Martin shooting. What the CRS has not been doing, namely, taking action against the New Black Panther Party for its violent rhetoric bordering on incitement, is abundantly clear.